The Naked Man Festival

|
Two weekends ago I went up to Okayama for the famous Naked Man Festival, or Hadaka Matsuri, to watch 9,000 thong-clad men run around in the freezing winter night in vie for two lucky wands. Men running around with big, white diapers riding up their ass? Fighting for two so-called "lucky" sticks like a massive pack of ravenous pigs? In the frigid cold? Apparently, only in Japan.

It was complete chaos, but probably one of my more exciting nights spent in Japan. The whole night was a non-stop 12-hour party. Oh yeah, and I had to teach the following afternoon. It was probably not one of my wisest or most responsible moves as a teacher, but sod it, I did it all for the sake of soaking in some unique Japanese culture. And if they had a Naked Woman Festival the following week, I would've so been there as well. Er, maybe.


Back that asssssssssss up!

These Japanese runners looked so emaciated, I was almost tempted to throw food at them.

Tom, Yasue, and Marc striking a pose for the camera.

I met these crazy JETs from Fukuyama for the first time and hung out with most of them the rest of the night.Sleepy, beat, red-eyed Pete and Yasue.
I didn't get to see these fellas run (I didn't get to see anybody really), but I was fortunate enough to get a little peek-show from Bill and Rory before the real festival began. The peace sign is contagious.
Bill's swollen ass after getting beat up by the hordes of men. HAHAHAHAhahh.
I kept running around behind the men "air-spanking" them and yelling "who's yo daddy?"

And for anyone who wants a hilarious video from the festival [cough: Pete], download Josh's video > click here

0 comments: